Bieber assault charge withdrawn

Justin Bieber has been cleared in the Toronto assault case.

Justin Bieber no longer faces a charge of assaulting his limo driver.

The 20-year-old pop star was accused of repeatedly hitting his chauffeur in Toronto last December.

The charge was withdrawn by the Crown Monday morning after it was determined there was a lack of evidence enabling prosecution to proceed, reports the Toronto Star.

Crown attorney David Mitchell told the court there were several people sitting behind the driver on the night of the alleged attack. However, the person who “came in contact with the complainant” could not be identified.

Justin’s lawyer, Brian Greenspan, told reporters outside the courthouse his team believes “no one assaulted the driver”.

“That may be a continuing debate. Our position is no one associated with Mr. Bieber came into any illegal contact with the driver,” he continued.

The lawyer added he was unaware of any additional charges that would come out of the case.

Justin is not entirely in the clear with the law, however.

The singer was charged last week with dangerous driving and assault in Stratford after his ATV (all terrain vehicle) crashed into a paparazzo’s minivan.

His lawyer told the Star he hopes charges will be withdrawn in that case as well.

Justin remains on probation from a vandalism conviction after he admitted to throwing eggs at a neighbour’s house last January.

He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanour charges of careless driving and resisting arrest after a drag race in Miami earlier this year.

His next court date in the latest case is scheduled for September 29, although a lawyer may appear on his behalf.
Copyright: Cover Media 2014

Monday, 08. September 2014