Chris Brown has launched legal proceedings against a man he claims is trying to extort money from him.
Chris Brown has reportedly filed an extortion lawsuit against a basketball player.
The troubled singer is said to be countersuing a man called Malcolm Ausbon, who filed papers last July claiming the 25-year-old attacked him over a foul call during a basketball game at a gym in Los Angeles.
According to TMZ, Chris claims in his legal documents he had nothing to do with the fight and Malcolm knew it, but still tried to “extort” $250,000 from him. The Loyal singer’s legal team say Malcolm admitted to Chris’ people the singer wasn’t the culprit, but later his lawyer made a written demand.
“Mr. Ausbon believes $250,000 will suffice compensating him for his physical and emotional injuries … Mr. Ausbon is placed in a position by the LAPD where he needs to decide whether he will press charges for aggravated assault and battery,” the document read, according to the outlet. “However, Mr. Ausbon prefers not to resort to filing these claims or the lawsuit. He would rather be compensated.”
Mark Geragos, the singer’s lawyer, says in the countersuit that Malcolm promised to keep the matter secret if Chris paid out, when he didn’t, the lawsuit was filed.
This matter is the latest in a string of legal proceedings and court cases the Don’t Wake Me Up singer has been involved in.
Last week he was ordered to serve an additional 131 days behind bars after violating his probation which stemmed from his 2009 conviction for assaulting then-girlfriend Rihanna.
The singer was arrested in October 2013 for allegedly assaulting a man in Washington, D.C., prompting prosecutors to bring the case before a judge.
The musician has been in custody since March after he was kicked out of court-ordered rehab for anger management.
Copyright: Cover Media 2014
Wednesday, 14. May 2014