Liam Payne’s apartment patio reportedly went up in flames due to a gas lamp accident which injured three people.
One Direction singer Liam Payne was reportedly involved in a home fire scare Monday.
The penthouse balcony of the 20-year-old’s £2 million East London residence apparently caught fire while a gas lamp was being refueled at approximately 9.45pm.
“His friend went to fill up the gas for a heating lamp, there was some sort of accident and the whole balcony went up in flames,” a source told British newspaper the Daily Mirror.
Liam is believed to have hopped in an ambulance with his buddies following the explosion.
One man was allegedly hospitalised with burns covering 20 per cent of his hands and face. Another man and a woman are said to have suffered superficial burns to their hands.
A spokesperson for Liam has not confirmed whether or not the star was injured, although the Mirror reports he was inside the residence when the fire occurred, engulfing 80 per cent of his veranda.
Thirty-five firefighters reportedly extinguished the flames and evacuated residents on the block of the Canary Wharf building where the incident occurred.
“Firefighters worked quickly and professionally to get the fire under control as quickly as possible,” Station Manager Laurie Kenny said.
“About 30 people left the building before we arrived and were not injured. Two of the occupants had superficial burns to their hands and the third had burns to his hands and face. All three have been taken to hospital,” she confirmed.
Earlier in the day, Liam filmed a music video with his bandmates Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson.
Building staff have reportedly refused to discuss details of the fire with the Mirror. However, residents opened up about their experiences.
“There were a lot of sirens, fire engines turned up, police turned up down below us,” one neighbor shared.
“I looked over at the balcony and saw that they were running into the building. The sirens had been going on for a while before I took any notice of them. I went out to the corridor, heard people in the stairwell so I checked and there were firemen there.”
The resident said emergency services were swift with settling the situation.
“They said there was a fire but it was under control so there was nothing to worry about,” the insider continued. “They were there very quickly and got it under control.”
Copyright: Cover Media 2013
Wednesday, 04. September 2013