Monteith's co-stars 'addressed drug use'

Cory Monteith's Glee co-stars were reportedly aware his drug addiction had resurfaced in March and so raised the topic with him.

Cory Monteith’s Glee co-stars reportedly had an “open conversation” about his problem with heroin earlier this year.

The 31-year-old star was found dead in his Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel room in Vancouver, Canada, on Saturday. Toxicology tests were rushed through and yesterday it was confirmed he died of a mixed drug toxicity of heroin and alcohol.

Cory was open about his addiction issues and first checked into rehab when he was 19. He completed a 30-day stint in March and April this year and it’s now been claimed his co-stars on US musical show Glee were aware of his relapse at that time.

According to TMZ, some of the other people involved with the programme took steps to help the star. Both cast members and producers were reportedly concerned about his drug use in March after realising he had started using heroin.

“Sources say… the group sat down with Cory and had an ‘open conversation’ with the actor – stressing how much they cared about him and wanted him to get help,” the site reports.

The actor was apparently ready to talk about his issues to the group and appreciated their decision to raise the topic with him.

“It wasn’t met with resistance… He was always so grateful and aware of how fortunate he was,” a source explained.

“The decision was to best help our friend. The needs of the show fell second to his well-being.”

Cory was dating his co-star Lea Michele when he passed away. Shortly after the news was made public her representative asked for her to be allowed to grieve in private.

Yesterday another statement was released, which thanks friends and fans for their outpouring of support. Lea has been leaning on Cory’s family over the last few days and they are making his funeral arrangements together.

The British Columbia Coroners Service revealed Cory’s cause of death yesterday, adding there is no evidence it was anything other than an accident. There was also drug paraphernalia consistent with an overdose in his hotel room.

He had worked on a movie called All The Wrong Reasons before his passing and stills from the film have just been released. He portrayed a store manager called James Ascher and is seen in a smart shirt and tie and wire-rimmed glasses.
Copyright: Cover Media 2013

Wednesday, 17. July 2013