Simon Cowell insists good reality TV shows aren’t “dead”.
The music mogul is the brains behind popular singing contest The X Factor and the Got Talent franchise.
Last year The X Factor was hit by bad viewing ratings, but the founder of Syco TV insists it’s not the end for the reality genre.
“For bad shows it’s dead, definitely,” he explained to the BBC.
“You’ve seen with something like the Olympics, when you put something good on, people watch it.”
Britain’s Got Talent suffered lower audience numbers than in previous years.
The US X Factor also found itself in a ratings battle with rival talent show The Voice, but Simon insists the quality of his shows will mean they remain popular.
“You’ve just got to try and make a better show than you did the year before. And if you do that there’s a chance you can get the numbers up,” he said.
The UK X Factor is currently signed to British channel ITV, with the contract ending this year.
The 53-year-old isn’t worried about the future of the singing competition.
“I guess there will be conversations then,” Simon said.
“It will be on TV for a long time to come. Both shows will. But I want to get this year out of the way first before I think about anything else.”
This year has seen a shake-up in The US X Factor judging panels, with Britney Spears and L.A. Reid confirming they will not be returning for the next season.
Copyright: Cover Media 2013
Monday, 21. January 2013